The Dynamics of Social Innovation (DASI) working group in the Inclusive Economic Development (IED) division of the HSRC held a 2-day strategic workshop in Pretoria on 16 and 17 August 2022.
- Day 1 focused on the Local Innovation Advancement Tools (LIAT) Community of Practice (COP) programme of work.
- The LIAT COP is implemented in OR Tambo District Municipality with the Walter Sisulu University and Vhembe District Municipality with the University of Venda.
- The COP complements the Innovation Champions for Local Economic Development (IC4LED) programme by the Department of Science and Innovation and the Technology Innovation Agency.
- Day 2 focused on Phase 2 of the Mapping Innovation Landscape in the Karoo Region programme of work.
- The Mapping Innovation Landscape in the Karoo, Phase 2 includes dissemination of knowledge products from Phase 1.
In addition to the IED team, HSRC GIS colleagues and Siyabonga Gumede from the Technology Innovation Agency (TIA) attended the workshop.
The workshop served as an opportunity for team building and interface with new and old team members for the first time in person since the COVID-19 pandemic. The workshop was centred around the lessons from past success stories, an appraisal on the current projects and the future of the respective programme of work. This included robust conversation on current policy and scientific debates in innovation and development.