World AIDS Day Commemoration at HSRC
World AIDS Day is once again upon us and will be commemorated by the HSRC’s staff members at centres in Mthatha, Sweetwaters, Pretoria, Cape Town and Durban on Wednesday 1 December. Come and join us on the day.
Events will include a seminar which will run from 09:00 – 10:00 where some of the HIV/AIDS research undertaken in the HSRC will be presented. Thereafter we will once again be present in the areas close to our offices where we will be handing out flyers containing information on the key findings emerging from the recently launched report “A Turning Tide Among Teenagers?”
Staff will then spend time at selected centres providing youth with presentations, talks, games, physical engagement and donations. The theme for this year is “In control of HIV in control of my future” and is geared towards the youth.We want to appeal to all staff and others to do the following:
- Wear a red or white t-shirt on World Aids Day
- Join a team distributing the flyers
- Join a team visiting a community care centre
- Chair: Mr Peter Pedlar, Deputy CEO: Operations at the HSRC
- Welcome and introductions:Mr Peter Pedlar
- Presenters: Dr Olive Shisana, HSRC CEO – “HIV prevention among young people”, Ms Thokozani Sithole– “Confronting HIV amongst youth in a rural community setting”
- Contributions and questions from the youth present
- Handing over of contributions from staff to organisations – Office managers in each centre
The Seminar will be followed by staff outreach activities which will include the distribution of flyers and visits to relevant organisations in each centre.
Flyers, donations and outreach programme details: