The HSRC invites you, our stakeholders, to attend this event in Cape Town.
The purpose of this Mini Science Forumin Cape Town is to partner with local institutions and government agencies to create an interest in science hence the theme igniting conversations in science.
The event is a community engagement pre-event to the Science Forum South Africa in December. DST has asked us to host the event in partnership with Cape Town Science Centre.
We are getting 25-30, Grade 9 students only from one school which is close to Cape Town Science Centre.
The HSRC together with partners will be hosting the Mini Science Forum on the 1 November in Cape Town.
1. A short DST speech
2. A short SFSA speech
3. A short “science” speech (possibly a HSRC executive introducing the theme with a “mini-lecture” but not too academic) –
4. An panel discussion (aligned to the theme – with representation from various institutions and preferable an “international” perspective –
School Engagement Programme:
Science Transforming Society
• Dr Thierry Luescher – Igniting interest in STEM for young children – what we have learnt so far and what kinds of interventions seem to work…
• Dr Wanda Diaz Merced (in cc here), who is working on accessibility in science, specifically astronomy
• Dr Anton Binneman – Large Science Infrastructure Projects such as SKA and its impacts on local communities
5. An outreach / youth engagement programme